Morning Qigong Time

     Early in the mornings I like to wake up before everyone else in my house does. I will make some coffee. Maybe have a small breakfast and then I will do my morning qigong. Qigong is a Chinese art. The name means: Energy Work, and it is one of my favorite things to do in the entire world. In many ways it is a lot like yoga and it builds strength, flexibility, peace of mind, and good health. 


    I got into qigong by way of martial arts. I practice Shaolin Kung Fu, Yang Style Tai Chi, and Baguazhang. These arts all contain qigong training for building strength, flexibility, and nei jin or internal power. I think I liked qigong better than yoga simply because it had a purpose that made sense to me. Getting stronger and more flexible? Yes please! It is a fun thing to do because it has helped me to be healthy and strong and recover from many injuries and illnesses over the years. It doesn't cure me so much as it stimulates healing which is a great boon in and of itself. I know lots of forms of qigong but my current favorite is a set called the 18 Luohan Hands. It's a cool Shaolin set that originates at the freaking Shaolin Temple, the legendary center for Chinese martial arts. I enjoy it because it is the kind of fitness routine that entertains the possibility that I am more than a simple meat suit running around until the lights go out. There are meditative practices built into this sort of qigong. Loving Kindness meditation, Forgiveness meditation, and a plethora of others that help me to find some peace of mind. 

I no longer feel scared about physical violence. I have encountered plenty of it through my life and the self defense skills I have learned from the martial side of things have been more than enough to see me through. The internal side of the arts is far more interesting to me now. How can I live better and more peacefully? How can I stop the war within myself? Does ending the conflict inside oneself affect the external conflicts we encounter?

I enjoy qigong because it helps me to explore these ideas. It is one of my joys in life. I think that is the most important lesson I have learned. You have to find what gives you joy and do that. One size does not fit all and we need to respect each others' processes.

Have a wonderful morning, may all beings know peace and happiness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Morning Before the Storms

Grappling, Compassion, and the Five Excellences.

The Pit I Was Born In